This post is more focused on tips on what to include in your online profile We know creating a dating profile can be scary. After all, it’s not always easy to big yourself up without sounding conceited or (even worse) desperate. In this fast-paced, social media-dependent world, we rely on the Internet for everything – from keeping in touch with old school friends and career networking to ordering takeaways and finding a cat-sitter for that weekend away. So it only seems logical you would use the good old Internet for finding that special someone, too.
That said, the world of online dating can be daunting if you’ve never tried it before, so here are our top tips for making the most of your dating profile and to make it even more fab than it already is!
1. Use a recent picture: If they are more than a year old, don’t use them. One of the most frequent complaints about online dating profiles is “they may have looked like that once but they certainly don’t look like that now”. Looking better in the flesh is better than the reverse.
2. Be honest: This is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine! Lying doesn’t get you anywhere in the dating world. Honesty is the best policy! There are so many guys that I've seen on apps and websites that I know personally, that are lying about things, such as, they don't smoke or drink or even their age! It's crazy. You do not want to start any relationship with a lie. There is no harm in being honest and open. After-all, we all want someone to accept us as we are; flaws and all.
3. Be specific: Talk in specifics to give a full flavour of who you are. If you love travelling, say where your favourite place is and why. Anything concrete like this brings you alive to anyone reading.
4. Take some time in building your profile: Don't leave your profile blank. Even if you can write a few words to describe yourself; do it! Get a friend to help you write your profile. Sometimes they know you better than you know yourself. This is going to be difficult but try to avoid cliche's. Even if you do like “walking on the beach” or “drinking wine in front of a roaring fire” leave it out – everyone says that. Think of something interesting that could be a conversation starter. Things such as do you have a fun hobby? do you like a certain movie? like hanging out with our friends? what's your fav restaurant? These may sound simple, but opening up and giving more info shows that you are dedicated in finding a potential partner and this is important to you.
Remember to keep it simple though! You don't need to put in your entire life history.
5. Check your grammar: Many people find poor grammar and spelling a turn off, and the best of us can make mistakes, so be careful on this point. Put your profile into Word and use your computer spell check for peace of mind.
6. Try to stay away from Selfie's. Personally any guy that takes more selfie's than I do is a HUGE turn-off for me. If every picture I see of you is a selfie, then I automatically am not attracted to that person. Moreover, if a guy is pouting in it......swipe left. people would rather see a big, happy grin in a profile photo than a sexy pout.
Don’t choose a picture where you are not the main focal point. Please, please, please don't post group shots! We want to see YOU! Don't make us guess who you are.
I know this sounds really obvious but i'm still going to mention it; don't post pictures with your ex or your current girlfriend....actually don't post pictures with anyone other than your parents! Sometimes posting a picture with your niece/nephew can backfire because people may think it's your children.
If you do have kids, then remember rule number 2; be honest....post away! talk about the fact that you have beautiful children.
Choose a picture with an action shot. Show us what your favorite hobbies are. If you like working out or are outdoorsy then post pics with those activities! Did you know, profile photos that demonstrate you playing your guitar or downhill skiing – even if your face isn’t showing – get more messages.
7. Let us know what you are looking for: not as in a shopping list of requirements but again an insight into your values and a snapshot into your life. Let us know what you want in a partner so we can not waste each other's time.
If you are only looking for a hook-up or if you want marriage. This is important! Your intentions can help you attract the right person.
8. Don't be offended: If you aren't someones cup of tea; who cares! If someone says you aren't the right fit or you aren't tall enough for you, so what? move on. You aren't going to please everyone and honestly it's better that you know now than later. You will find the right person!
Last 2 important points: be positive and try to enjoy yourself....don't take it too seriously, even though this can be difficult. If you need a break then take one.
Also, be safe! listen to your gut. There are many weirdos out there so be cautious.