Some may say that it takes a certain kind of woman to pull off Brogues, but the truth is that this lace-up can work for everyone—it's all about how they're styled. Sure, the shoe has menswear-inspired roots, but you can pair it with a fanciful dress for an unexpected look, or style it with a moto jacket for a new kind of downtown chic. No matter which way you choose to wear them, rest assured that you'll find the look that suits your style.
Here are some quick tips for wearing this trend:
- Be sure to show a little bit of skin around the areas of the ankle
- Do as the guys do. In other words, don’t be afraid of choosing boyfriend blazers or jeans for the bold and revolting personality stating looks.
- You may tone down the masculine feel picking some feminine details and pieces for counterbalancing so add some jewelry, a charming hat, makeup accents like bright red lipstick or other bright tones, or just have catchy and feminine prints to make the ideal combinations.
- If you choose two-toned oxfords, treat them as the building blocks of your look. To avoid costume-y vibes, wear them with streamlined silhouettes in the same shades, like black cropped skinny jeans and a crisp white button-front blouse.
- Style it with a dress; The key to mastering this look is to make sure you show just the right amount of leg—revealing some ankle will ensure you won't look dowdy. Bonus: this look is also the perfect day-to-night outfit.
- Oxfords are made much more interesting when worn with a novelty sock. We love a pair with a special detail, like a bow or sheer accent, but a black pair scrunched at the ankles is a minimal approach that's just as chic.
- Fishnets are a great legwear option that, when styled correctly, can look modern and daytime appropriate. Wear your Oxfords with these tights and a miniskirt for a surprisingly chic ensemble.
Here are some pictures to help you style this look!