With more than two billion people expected to tune in for the ceremony, it’s definitely a historical moment you won’t want to miss. While you’ll have to wake up early to watch the festivities, hosting your own viewing party ensures that the early Saturday morning will be all the more fun.
Here are a few necessary must-haves for your party:
- A fascinator is necessary! since it's so early in the morning, why not dress in your favourite silk pj's and have your guests come in their sleeping-attire best. You and your guests may not be heading to St. George’s Chapel, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dress like it! Set up a table with supplies so people can create their own head pieces. “Paper plates in a variety of colors make a great base,” Miller says. “Set out paper, scissors, feathers, ribbons or whatever other trim you can think of and guests can get decorating. Copy your favorite wedding guest’s fascinator or hold a contest for craziest fascinator, most royal—the list goes on!
- Schedule - Print out chic schedules for the guests so everyone knows what to expect during the festivities.. Here is one from Harper's Bazaar
- Serve Scones and Tea - You may be watching the wedding in the wee hours of the morning, but it’s the perfect excuse to indulge in a traditional afternoon tea. People Magazine, recommends stacking scones into mini “wedding cakes” to make them even more festive. “These tiered mini cakes—made of scones with clotted cream icing—let you have your cake and eat breakfast, too, They’re easy and elegant and taste as good as it looks. Just top a large scone with clotted cream and a smaller scone, add another dollop of cream and decorate with fresh fruit like raspberries, blueberries, or lemon zest.”
- Play Games - Like any big television event, the royal wedding is the perfect excuse to play games. Download People Magazine set of 10 Bingo cards to play along with the broadcast as Meghan and Harry kiss or the Spice Girls attend;
- Play the part - What better way to have a royal viewing party than with other royalty?" These free printable masks are hilarious and act as the perfect way for an Instagram moment.
- Dress up your party - There are a wide array of wedding china, British flag napkins, on-theme tablecloths, and so much more to decorate your viewing party. Feel free to turn your home into a literal union jack even. The possibilities are endless!
Lastly, have fun! it's gonna be a while until the next one (we are looking at you Prince George!)