Buying lingerie for yourself with Valentine’s Day in mind can be quite the daunting task. Do you look for something silky, lacy, or maybe actually wearable? It’s easy to get overwhelmed and think you have to go the overtly sexy, cringe-inducing-in-hindsight route. Don’t get trapped. We have a few tips for you when you go out to choose your lingerie that aren’t cheesy but still feel appropriate for the holiday. Plus, given how much you’re spending, you’ll also actually be able wear these under a T-shirt and jeans the rest of the year.
So let's get into it:
- FYI - Expensive does not mean it's the bomb. You don't need La Perla or Agent Provocateur to impress your loved one. You can find inexpensive but good quality lingerie that still gets the job done. Don't let anyone fool you.
- The easiest way to look festive for Valentine’s day without being super uncomfortable is to try a soft cotton and lace.
- If you’re not a fan of lace or silk, Calvin Klein’s classic cotton set is a great alternative. It’s understated but has that throwback ‘90s, sporty sex appeal.
- So you don’t want to wear red but you still want something that feels appropriate for the holiday? A sleek black set is perfect; black satin keeps it from being too over-the-top
- Don't wear something that is super complicated to take off....I mean that's the purpose, right? Most guys do appreciate all the extravagance of lingerie but they want to be able to take it off without embarrassing themselves or reading a manual. Make it easy on him and skip the garter belt with the thing highs, corsets or bustier...unless of course you have a very well-versed man then make him work for it!
- If you are little more on the modest side and you want a little more coverage than your standard set, a satin slip is the best way to go. You can wear it by itself, or add a thong/bikini under. A great bonus is that it pulls double duty as a slip year-round....less doesn't necessarily mean more!
- A full lace bodysuit is another alternative for something that gives you more coverage but retains the barely-there look of lingerie. Another name for this sorta style is a "teddy.'
- Don't go for fashion trends if that is not your thing. The whole bondage look is really in right now...blame fifty shades of grey for that one! If do want want something that feels over-the-top and festive then go for strappy details and add on a garter belt with strappy heels to complete the look.
- You don’t need to wear a thong. Seriously; and if anyone else tells you otherwise they are lying! I get it, guys love the look but they aren't the ones who are walking around with a permanent wedgie. If a thong is not your thing then think of the classic Italian sirens like Sophia Loren and their choice of lingerie. They always went for a fuller underwear that went up to their waist to create a really nice silhouette and you can wear this later on to underneath your outfit as shape-wear!
A few key points to remember:
- Remember you are wearing the lingerie for the entire evening. It's so easy to forget this! Unless you go home and change before getting busy with your man; you will be wearing your lingerie for the entire time under your clothes. So, if you hate thongs, guess what? you will be wearing a thong for hours! So buy something that you want to wear for a long period of time.
- Think of comfort and then think of sexy! Remember the rule, you are wearing this for most of the day so you want to be comfortable and not be tugging or pulling on your bra the entire time.
- Lingerie is not a one-time wear so invest in something that you can wear for the rest of the year.
- The most important rule is buy something that makes you feel sexy! It's all about YOU and not your significant other! If you feel sexy and confident then this will translate in how you carry yourself when you are with your partner. If you feel confident, trust us, your partner will think you are sexy no matter what you are wearing, even if it's granny panties.... but don't wear granny panties on v-day! Lingerie has a great power to automatically lift your spirits and make you feel confident so grab some sexy lingerie and give yourself an instant boost!
We hope you enjoyed our tips! Below we listed some options from Nordstrom to give you some inspo.
Happy Shopping and Happy Valentine's Day!