Now that fall is finally here, it's time to embrace the darker burgundy hues of deep red, oxblood, and burgundy-black for lipsticks. These lip shades will help you transition your look into fall and although this trend has been here for a while; we love it too much to let go of it.
We have gathered a few simple tips and tricks to help you wear a burgundy pout this fall;
1. Make sure it's the right time - So what are your plans for the day? This doesn't mean that you can't rock a dark lip in the morning. You probably don't want to a dark lip to a dinner date where you'll be eating greasy pizza or other greasy food. The oil in fast foods will break down your lip color, leaving it messy and patchy. A dark lip is high maintenance, and you may have to touch up and reapply throughout the day. Be careful though because sometimes the more you touch-up, the more cakey it will start to look.
2. Do prep your lips - exfoliating and moisturizing before application will make the color go on smoother and last longer. If you're prone to chapped lips or flaking, the super-dark pigments may settle into dry patches, resulting in an uneven look.Try a mix of a sugar and honey scrub and lightly rub it against your lip before application of a dark lipstick. A darker colour will have more pigmintation so it will pick up any dry skin and will enhance any cracks or lines on your lips so, by prepping your lips, you will have a smoother application.
3. Know your skintone - make sure its undertone goes well with your own coloring — your skin tone, eye color, and/or hair color. There are four undertones for burgandy lipsticks: pink, brown, blue, and red, Here’s how to figure out which one will look best on you according to Cosmopolitan:"If you’re light-eyed, pink-based burgundy colors will look amazing on you. This hue makes your eyes pop,"
"If you have dark eyes, a brown burgundy will bring them out more,"
"A blue-based burgundy on the other hand, isn’t too light or too dark, so it can be worn by women with light or dark eye colors,"
"For a deep red burgundy...is more suited for brunettes because their hair balances out and can support the intense color."
A trick to figuring out what lipstick shade has what base: "Take a tissue with you to the store and swipe the tester over it...You’ll be able to tell the undertone of the lipstick against the white background and choose the correct shade from there."
5. Apply with a lip brush - I never follow this rule and always regret it later. The best way to put on burgundy lipstick is with a lip brush,. Darker lipsticks can get messy quickly —even more so than red lip color — so you want to be sure you’re precisely putting it on. Swipe it on from the outer corner of the mouth to center on both the upper and lower lips, then I fill in the rest of the pout.
6. Take your time and apply lip liner after - The darker the lipstick, the more obvious the lines you create with it. Avoid a messy presentation by lining your lips after you've applied your lipstick, with a liner as close to your lipstick shade as possible.
Darker lip shades also have the power to make your lips appear thinner than they naturally are. If your lips are on the thin side, overdraw them so the dark color doesn't shrink them. Be careful when overdrawing as a darker shade be less forgiving if you make mistakes.
7. Clean up your mistakes - Perfect the edges of your lip line with concealer for a polished finish.
8. Skip the gloss - This is up to you and your preference. I personally like a matte darker lip. Swiping on gloss can make your otherwise matte lipstick look messy, and make the color bleed onto your skin, which isn’t a good look. If you’re set on adding gloss into the mix though, apply it only to the center of your lips.
9. Don't forget your eyebrows - If you only do one other thing in your makeup routine when wearing a dark lip, make sure it's filling in your eyebrows. Since dark lipstick draws attention to such a low point on the face, it's important to balance the focus by really giving brows the power to do their job: Frame the face.
10. Keep your makeup minimal - Clean eyeliner and lots of mascara pair well with dark lips. For eye shadow, choose a light shimmery bronze or taupe to play up the eyes without stealing focus from the lips.
11. Add some colour to your cheeks - A dark lipstick has the power to wash out your face. Don't forget the bronzer when you wear one; it will put needed color back into your cheeks. As far as blush goes, you can stick to a neutral or bronzy shade, but if you like the flushed look, opt for a berry tone.
12. Do the teeth test - Lipstick will always try to move in on your teeth, and the darker the color, the more obvious it will be if it strays. To do the teeth test, put a finger in your mouth, close your lips around it, and pull it out. Any lipstick that ended up on your finger could've been on your teeth or run your tongue along your teeth for a quick scrub.
I hope this will encourage our readers to go try out a dark lip shade for this winter. Last and the most important tip of all; wear your liptstick with confidence!