I've always felt that in terms of tailoring, men's fashion is still very ahead compared to women's fashion. Perhaps because, men's cut/tailoring has been in existence for far longer than it has been for a woman and it's not that easy to tailor for a woman's curves. Regardless, every woman will say this; a well-tailored suit on a man is absolutely beautiful and can instantly increase the "hotness" level on any man. We all know that a black suit is a 'must' for every man but I wanted to talk about other suit choices and colours that I believe a man should invest in. Starting of with my favourite; the navy/blue suit.
I've recently gone to quite a few weddings (it's summer; 'tis the season) and I always love seeing all the guys dressed up in suits. Usually during summer, I've noticed that men wear a blue suit a lot more; such as the above worn by Adam Galla above (if you don't follow him on Instagram, then you must!) The blue usually varies in colour from a deep navy (navy is one of my fav colours on a guy) to a lighter navy blue and the suit is usually paired with a lighter brown/cognac shoe.
So, a big disclaimer, I am absolutely in love with this combination of pairing blue and brown together on a man. To me this combo is the equivalent to a well-cut black suit...it makes me weak. Ok so now that I have stopped drooling, let's go back. A blue suit is so refreshing and is such a nice change from the regular black suit. I think a blue/navy suit should be a staple in every man's wardrobe. You can really dress up this suit and it looks great in the summer or winter especially for those early morning weddings/occasions.
Recently, I've noticed that men have started wearing a chocolate brown coloured shoe alot more and it's being paired with everything from a blue, black or grey suit. It looks so classy and beautiful. I think with a grey suit, the chocolate looks unbelievable.
1. The cut is everything! This is the most important point! You can wear a boring-old-black-suit but if you have the suit tailored to your body; no matter what you will stand out! I know it's very expensive to get a suit tailored but look at it as an investment. Our body does keep changing with age so try to have it tailored on a regular basis.
2. Experiment with your shoes. There are so many variations such as a laced-up dress shoe, loafer, wingtip, or a monk. Below is an illustration of some variations of dress shoes.
5. Accessories such as cuff-links or a tie-clip can add make your suit stand out.
6. Try a different Tie. Once again there are so many variations and colours out there. Also, there are so many different ways you can tie your tie.....why not stray away from the usual and try on a different method? a Windsor perhaps?
7. Don't forget your socks! I never really knew about matching your socks to your tie or your loved one's outfit, until I was told about it. I think it's super cute to try to match your partner in a subtle way and you can create alot of drama by wearing colourful and fun socks!
I hope you enjoyed this post. Fashion is supposed to be fun so go ahead and break some rules!
P.S. I found an amazing guide on Pinterest (the things your find there!) that may help you when styling your suit.