Now the thought of wearing this girlie little check may fill you with fear, is it possible to avoid looking like a picnic blanket or that you are wearing school uniform? (I get anxiety looking at this print because my school uniform was an awful gingham print so, I feel your pain!). The answer is YES! and let us help you conquer this print.
Gingham was a huge hit on the SS17 catwalks, and we witnessed them in many forms from trousers, to dresses, co-ords and even in accessories. Trust us, anyone can pull off this print. All you need is a bit of inspiration to get you started. Below we have provided you with some inspo and some quick tips on ways to style gingham for 2017.
First off let's start with some necessary do's:
- pain gingham with a solid. For our risk-taking fashionistas, try pairing gingham with another gingham piece to give yourself an eye-catching look but do be careful!
- make it cas by wearing denim and breaking up the pattern.
- pair it with a bright fabric such as pants or a skirt.
- go simple by wearing gingham with black or white. Don't be afraid of matching or not matching the gingham fabric with the solid you choose.
- feeling hesitant? test out the trend with a gingham accessory such as shoes or a choker.
- try out different colours in gingham such as blue, green or red.
- break up the print if necessary by adding a belt.
This is a trend that if worn in the wrong way can end up in a total fashion disaster. So here are a few don'ts:
- don't go overboard and get super matchy-matchy. If you want to wear a gingham bottom and top then try to break it up by adding a belt of exposing some skin.
- the smaller the checkered pattern, the busier your outfit will look. If you want to not draw attention to yourself then opt for a larger pattern.
- don't mix trends or at least try not too with gingham. I've seen people add this trend on with florals and it looked horrendous. Gingham is a very strong statement piece so let it shine on it's own!
Guys, you can definitely incorporate this trend in your wardrobe too! Gingham forges on as an integral part of the spring, and summer style landscape; be it as a dress shirt or a pocket square, The colored checks add a bold touch to any look.
Get your gingham game on, ladies and gents!