They say mums know best, so here is a list of some trusted beauty tips straight from my mum:
- Products are versatile: you can use a little lipstick on your cheeks for blush or use Vaseline to make lip gloss; a great tip to save money too.
- Believe in the power of DIY facials. I used to watch my mom steam her face every week to unclog her pores and give her skin a rosy glow. I've seen her make her own face/hair masks by mixing some yogurt and honey or come up with her own concoction.
- Believe in the power of natural products over chemicals.
- Always use SPF; protect yourself from the Sun.
- Oil your hair to give your hair for shine and growth. This is a huge ritual in most South Asian cultures. It's a weekly event of putting some oil in your hair and washing it out after a few hours. Trust me your hair will love you for it! Try Olive, Coconut, Argan Oil.
- Lack of sleep shows in your face via puffy eyes and wrinkles. Ger your 7-8 hour rest ladies!
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! The best way to fight wrinkles according to my mum is to basically moisturize like crazy. Also apply moisturizer in upward and circular motions. It helps to prevent wrinkles.
- When in doubt or you don't have time to do your makeup then lipstick is key. If you do have time then focus on 3 things; eyebrows, mascara and lipstick.....clearly lipstick is a must for my mum!
- You've' heard this before; ALWAYS wash your face at night. No matter what.
- Use pure rosewater to tone your skin.....I follow this religiously.
- Less is more. Don't over power your face with tons of makeup.
- Skincare is more important than makeup. Work on your foundation; which is your skin, before anything else.
- Vaseline helps with all issues!
- What you eat will show on your face.
- Drink tons of water to hydrate yourself and it will help clear up your skin.
- Brush your hair at night and braiding your hair is best since it doesn't cause any breakage.
Lastly, and more importantly, beauty comes from the inside.